Curriculum Vitae of Malcolm Smith
Phone: 01525 240 937
This CV is left as an archive of my employment history.
Now my field of activity is in
teaching African drumming.
An experienced team leader and computer engineer with
wide-ranging knowledge of hardware and software products.
Highly motivated, honest and dedicated,
with diplomatic customer-facing skills and
a meticulous degree of numeracy and literacy.
- Teaching West African drumming and song, both
one-to-one and to big
groups of adults and
- First-line ATM maintenance on
NCR, Diebold and Fujitsu/Siemens
machines, and second-line on Wincor.
- Installing, upgrading and maintaining desktop
PC's, servers, peripherals and network hardware.
- Managing a team of engineers and optimising manpower and resources to meet deadlines.
- Liasing with customers to give quality service, and providing user support and training.
- Using alarm systems and security protocols to maintain a safe working environment.
- Using PDAs and laptops out in the field to
communicate with remote systems.
- Managing stock control systems, and documenting to
- Communicating effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Producing reports based on analysis of weekly/monthly data.
- Training staff and customers in
FLOSS and productivity.
- Teaching children and adults skills such as computing and music.
- Installing and configuring software from disk,
Debian workstations with
GNU/Linux/UNIX command line skills.
- Maintaining regular automated backups using state-of-the-art Free Software tools.
websites, image editing with
The GIMP and
- Programming using
plus some knowledge of
BASH, C/C++ and Java.
- Preparing documentation using word-processors, spreadsheets, databases and music software.
- Digital/analogue mixing, recording and synthesis, sampling,
MIDI sequencing and signal
music (mainly percussion) and
DJ-ing with records from my extensive and diverse collection.
- Multi-drop van driving in London and the South East of England; with a good sense of direction and timing.
1997-2007 Various projects through MicroRoute Ltd., Warwick, until made
- 2005-2007 Team Leader organising engineers' rota, holidays, staff training,
day-to-day personnel issues.
- 2000-2005 ABS Engineer for a security
company, first-line maintenance in London, Essex, Herts, Beds, Bucks.
- 1999 Network Engineer replacing
PC's and servers in
CSG offices around South East England:
Data migration, cabling, configuration and testing of
LAN on Windows NT for
- 1999 IBM Installation
- setting up Boots Advantage Card kiosks in shops around the UK.
- setting up EPOS tills in Jones
shops around South East England.
- installing routers in Tesco stores connecting
ISDN, Ethernet and
IBM RS6000 mainframe.
- 1998 Network Site Engineer at RAF Wyton,
Cambridgeshire (MOD Security Clearance checked).
Installing computer equipment and building software over the network.
- 1998 CRM Refresh Team
contracted at various
IBM locations around London:
Upgrading user platforms on laptops and desktops, migrating software, data capture/restore.
- 1997 Mobile Service Technician for
NCR UK Ltd., Watford, Herts:
Maintaining IT equipment for
Lloyds and Nat West Banks, primarily
PC's and counter terminals.
- 1997 Configuration Engineer for Compel plc, Welwyn Garden City, Herts.
- 1995 Data Entry Clerk for Blue Arrow Temporary Services, St. Albans,
Herts using Microsoft Office.
- 1994 Configuration Engineer for Computacenter Ltd., Radlett, Herts:
Hardware and software installation and testing on
IBM, Compaq, Toshiba,
HP and Apple desktops, laptops and servers running
MS DOS, Windows, Office and
applications. Encryption of protected financial systems.
- 1988-89 General Assistant for J. Sainsbury, Beeston, Nottingham:
Checkout operator, customer service, stock taking/replenishment and
warehouse duties. Working part-time while studying at college to gain
vital real-world experience of the retail sector.
- 2009-2010 Sing Up
Take The Lead course learning how to teach vocal workshops.
- 2008 Business Link
courses: Starting Your Own Business, Presentation Skills, Business Planning,
Marketing Your Business, Bookkeeping & Accounts, PR for Virgins,
Taxation & VAT, Managing Money & Making A Profit,
Running A Business From Home, Time Management and Closing The Sale.
- 2000-01 Oaklands College, Welwyn Garden City, Herts: C/C++ and
Java Programming evening classes.
- 1990-93 University of Hertfordshire: Completed modules in Computing, Electronic
Music, German and Linguistics using Modula-2, Pascal, Ada,
VMS3, UNIX, Sun OpenWindows, LogicWorks,
- 1982-90 West Bridgford School, Nottingham:
1990 2 'A' Levels: Pure and Applied Mathematics (grade D) and Computer Science (grade C).
1987 10 'O' Levels, including Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science all at grade A.
audio software development,
web design, the Internet.
drumming, singing, playing,
Malcolm Smith 2002-02-04 - last updated 2017-11-15