Some other ideas to try now and again:
- melons - are the most perfectly balanced food for human beings, but should be only
eaten on their own or with other soft fruit; Cantaloupe are my favourite, and inspired my piano
piece "Melon Variations"
- paw paw with lime juice
- lychees, pears, pineapples, grapefruits, oranges, tangerines, raspberries,
- avocado salad with mushrooms and lime juice - a simple and delicious raw salad
- tapioca - easy to cook (with rice milk); just avoid the tinned stuff with
- brown rice syrup - a good natural sweetener
- tamari - the ultimate soy sauce, just fermented soy beans, water
and salt, unlike Shoyu which also contains wheat; the best brand is
- pistachio nuts - a good nutritious snack, better than peanuts
- as long as they're just potatoes, vegetable oil and salt, they're OK
- grated raw parsnip with olive oil and tamari - fabulous filling
for jacket spuds
- baked red peppers, onions, apples - remove the seeds/core first, drip oil onto it and
- alfalfa and mung bean sprouts are delicious raw and in stirfries, and are very
easy to grow
- sorrel, rocket, lovage and chives all grow well in English soils
and are delicious in salads
- herbal tea - I currently have 38 varieties on my shelves! (Come and visit me and help
me drink it all!) Favourites are Yogi Bhajan's Ayurvedic "THROAT COMFORT TEA" and
Long Life "ORGANIC GINGER BLEND", available from all good health food shops.
And if you grow rosemary in the garden, just dunk the leaves in hot water!
- fruit juices - if you've never tried freshly juiced carrot and apple,
you haven't lived...
Copyright ©2002 Malcolm Smith.
These recipes are free software; you can redistribute them
and/or modify them under the terms of the GNU
General Public License as published by the Free
Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
DISCLAIMER: All these recipes are distributed in the hope that they will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
General Public License for more details.