Curriculum Vitae of Malcolm Smith
Phone: 01525 240 937
tl;dr? Here's a shorter printable single-page CV
manager and computer engineer with a decade of teaching experience.
Highly motivated, honest and dedicated, with inspiring leadership qualities,
diplomatic customer-facing skills and a meticulous degree of numeracy and literacy.
I live near Aylesbury and hold a clean UK Driving Licence so can travel in
Buckinghamshire to Milton Keynes, Leighton Buzzard, Dunstable, Bicester, or
further afield if necessary.
- Teaching West African drumming and song, both
and to large
groups of adults and
universities and the
- Performing music
at festivals, concerts,
leading audiences of sometimes 1000+ in song.
- Extensive work with people with special needs (physical, mental, behavioural,
emotional) and vulnerable young people.
- Mentoring and motivating people of all ages and backgrounds, dissolving
their inhibitions, stealthily educating via fun.
- Teaching people character-building skills such as music and computing
to help unlock their self-confidence.
- Team Building and training staff and customers in productivity and
Free/Libre/Open Source Software to save time and money.
- Leading by example and running an entire company using solely
Free Software that is intelligently designed, more secure and often zero cost.
- Designing, building and administering customised
Debian workstations with
GNU/Linux/UNIX command line skills.
- Maintaining regular automated backups and frequent sys admin tasks using
state-of-the-art Free Software tools.
- Building simple-to-use, quick-loading,
HTML+CSS coded using
- Photography and image editing with
- Preparing documentation using
LibreOffice (Free word-processor,
spreadsheets, databases) and music software.
- Digital/analogue mixing, recording and synthesis, sampling,
MIDI sequencing, signal
processing and audio editing with
- Curating a vast and
diverse collection of rare
recordings, remastering compilations and
DJ-ing with them.
- Keeping accounts, managing finances, producing monthly reports, preparing and submitting Tax Returns.
- Dealing positively with the general public and clients' requests,
negotiating with businesses and services.
- Promoting West African music within the UK djembe community, online, and on
television and radio.
- Notating traditional
and making them freely available to anyone on the internet.
1997-2007 Various engineering projects through MicroRoute Ltd., Warwick, until made
- 2005-2007 Team Leader organising engineers' rota, holidays, staff training,
day-to-day personnel issues.
- 2000-2005 ABS Engineer for a security
company, first-line maintenance in London, Essex, Herts, Beds, Bucks.
- 1999 Network Engineer replacing
PC's and servers in
CSG offices around South East England:
Data migration, cabling, configuration and testing of
LAN on Windows NT for
- 1999 IBM Installation
- setting up Boots Advantage Card kiosks in shops around the UK.
- setting up EPOS tills in Jones
shops around South East England.
- installing routers in Tesco stores connecting
ISDN, Ethernet and
IBM RS6000 mainframe.
- 1998 Network Site Engineer at RAF Wyton,
Cambridgeshire (MOD Security Clearance checked).
Installing computer equipment and building software over the network.
- 1998 CRM Refresh Team
contracted at various
IBM locations around London:
Upgrading user platforms on laptops and desktops, migrating software, data capture/restore.
- 1997 Mobile Service Technician for
NCR UK Ltd., Watford, Herts:
Maintaining IT equipment for
Lloyds and Nat West Banks, primarily
PC's and counter terminals.
- First-line ATM maintenance on
NCR, Diebold and Fujitsu/Siemens
machines, and second-line on Wincor.
- Installing, upgrading and maintaining desktop
PC's, servers, peripherals and network hardware.
- Managing a team of engineers and optimising manpower and resources to meet deadlines.
- Liasing with customers to give quality service, and providing user support and training.
- Using alarm systems and security protocols to maintain a safe working environment.
- Using PDAs and laptops out in the field to
communicate with remote systems.
- Managing stock control systems, and documenting to
- Communicating effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Producing reports based on analysis of weekly/monthly data.
- Multi-drop van driving on time to meet
This was all in the days before
I have good map-reading skills and a homing pigeon-like natural sense of
direction, and developed a fairly good "Knowledge" of London and the South
East of England.
- 1997 Configuration Engineer for Compel plc, Welwyn Garden City, Herts.
- 1995 Data Entry Clerk for Blue Arrow Temporary Services, St. Albans,
Herts using Microsoft Office.
- 1994 Configuration Engineer for Computacenter Ltd., Radlett, Herts:
Hardware and software installation and testing on
IBM, Compaq, Toshiba,
HP and Apple desktops, laptops and servers running
MS DOS, Windows, Office and
applications. Encryption of protected financial systems.
- 1988-1989 General Assistant for J. Sainsbury, Beeston, Nottingham:
Checkout operator, customer service, stock taking/replenishment and
warehouse duties. Working part-time while studying at college to gain
vital real-world experience of the retail sector.
- 2011 Hertfordshire Development Centre, Stevenage: special needs courses:
- 2009-2010 Sing Up
Take The Lead course learning how to teach vocal workshops.
- 2008 Business Link
courses: Starting Your Own Business, Presentation Skills, Business Planning,
Marketing Your Business, Bookkeeping & Accounts, PR for Virgins,
Taxation & VAT, Managing Money & Making A Profit,
Running A Business From Home, Time Management and Closing The Sale.
- 2000-2001 Oaklands College, Welwyn Garden City, Herts: C/C++ and
Java Programming evening classes.
- 1994-now Ongoing African drumming studies with many
Senegal and UK.
- 1991-now Classically trained
composition skills (mostly
self-taught). As well as reading and writing notation, I
play by ear and have
- 1990-1993 University of Hertfordshire: Completed modules in Computing, Electronic
Music, German and Linguistics using Pascal, Modula-2, Ada,
VMS3, UNIX, Sun OpenWindows, LogicWorks,
- 1982-1990 West Bridgford School, Nottingham:
- 1990 2 'A' Levels: Pure and Applied Mathematics (grade D) and Computer Science (grade C).
- 1987 10 'O' Levels, including Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science all at grade A.
(self-taught) as a child, writing my own complex programs with user-friendly interfaces.
Malcolm Smith 2002-02-04 - last updated 2018-07-19